When most people think of a secret garden, they think of the book, or imagine a grandiose sanctuary full of butterflies and colorful flowers. However, your secret garden can be more than that, or far less.
The simplicity and appearance of your garden depends entirely on you and making it secret means you have control over how it looks, who enters, and what flowers are included.
So, what makes a secret garden so great, and how does one go about building one?
What’s the appeal to a secret garden?
If you’re the only person with a green thumb in your household, or want to create a place to throw parties, host friends, or simply enjoy some alone time, a secret garden is a great way to create a private, enchanting atmosphere.
The best part is that a secret garden will be entirely yours. Every aspect of its design is up to you, from the hardscaping to the patio furniture and flowers. If you want something to dedicate your time to, a secret garden might be the perfect getaway.
Designing your own secret garden
There’s a lot to consider when designing gardens, and a secret one might include a bit more personal touch than the one in your front yard. Getting started is the hardest part, so here’s some ideas to consider.
- Obviously, the bread and butter of your garden will be flowers! If you’re not sure where to begin, consider your favorite colors or types of flower, and what would thrive in your climate. From there, your ideas can begin taking root.
- In line with flowers, bushes can provide privacy and secrecy to your garden area. From hedges to rose bushes, landscaping is an important aspect of every garden.
- When most people think of a secret garden, they think of towering vines and other elegant, horizontal additions. Here is some more information on vine plants and which ones to avoid.
- Hardscapes. This can include pathways, patios, and flowerbed edgings. These can be a bit hard to install by yourself, but D. Tisdale Landscaping can help you get the job done.
- Patio furniture, gazebos, canopies, and even metalwork can make great additions to your secret garden. They offer shade, decoration, and a place to sit and enjoy your work. Even unique additions likepondscan offer more personal touches to your garden.
In the book The Secret Garden, the main character Mary has to enlist help to restore her secret garden back to full bloom. Luckily, you have people on your side too. As we mentioned above, R.D. Tisdale Landscaping has lots and lots of experience in landscaping, hardscaping, and other garden additions.
If you need advice or a helping hand, don’t hesitate to reach out. Secret gardens are supposed to provide solace and peace to their owners, so stressing yourself out over the project might limit your enjoyment. If you’d like to see some of what we have created, check out some of our previous work in Indianapolis.